Friday, June 17, 2011

Weight Wednesday

I'm a big fan of The Biggest Loser show. I'm amazed at how these people start the show feeling unworthy, ashamed, neglected, unhappy...all for different reasons...and some are seemingly transformed into confident, assertive, happier people by the end of the show...not to mention they look like different people.

Maybe I really identify with these people because I have been on a "diet" as far back as I can remember. Some seasons have been better than others but this last season was my favorite so far. Gracen & I just loved watching Hannah & Olivia transform themselves with the help of the Biggest Loser team.
When it came finale time I had been really feeling just depressed really with my weight, my body & my inability to stick to my workout/eating plan. As I watched one thing Hannah said really spoke to me. When asked a question about what she learned on the show she said..and I'm paraphrasing her...that she had to admit she needed help & be willing to accept it. I am definitely an "I should be able to do this on my own" kind of girl. Asking for help is not something that comes natural to me. 
Hmmm...now that was an "Aha moment" for me.

Around the same time as the finale, I was reading "Made to Crave" by Lysa TerKuerst. It's a great book & it talks about how we were made to crave by God...but He is what we were meant to crave at all times & we so often (usually) fill that void with food. When a crisis strikes, a bad day happens, something frustrates us...could be little or big events & even happy events...we (I) turn to food first, God second. 
Wow...that was an "Aha moment" again!

But, as I read in her book to my surprise she also sought help. She prayed first & the spiritual transformation was a process but she didn't just pray away her weight...not to minimize the importance of that but she also sought help...a dietitian & began working out.

Through both of these "aha moments" I began to feel God nudging me...ask for & accept help with the details of what I needed to do to transform my life physically...and look to 
Him first & get the order right...God first, food...well maybe not 2nd but certainly not 1st!

So I talked it over with Marty after a Facebook friend posted about her trainer & how great she was doing. It was truly a series of events over a couple months that led me to make the call & ask for help. I was embarrassed to even make the call but it just felt like the right thing to do..so I did...and now I'm one week into training with him & I already feel that fog I was in lifting. If I can keep myself from stressing the money I'm spending...I know I can do this. 
I'm not even saying I "hope" I can.

A quote I read on a blog this week says it all...

"What lies ahead of you is not as great as the Power behind you."


I know my Savior has my back & I'm working on filling my cravings with Him! 

Updates to come on my adventure through this process next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment